I “pick and process” lumber for certain boards, and get together a bunch. Sometimes I’ll do a large batch of one type (like when I just did 43 cheese boards), and sometimes I’ll do a mixed bunch. In either case, I get a group of boards sorted, and start gluing. I don’t really have room, you see, to use the tools for 2 operations at once, so I almost always do the processes exclusively for the boards I’m working on:
- Picking & Processing – Table Saw, Drum Sander, Planer, Workbench, Dust Collector
- Gluing – Clamps, Workbench
- Shaping & Smoothing – Planer, Drum Sander, Table Saw, Band Saw, Drill Press, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, Router Table, Workbench, Dust Collector
- Sanding – Random Orbital Sanders, Dust Extractor, Workbench
- Oiling & Waxing – Terrycloth Towels, Workbench & Any Handy Flat Surface
- Install Hardware – Cordless Drills
- Photography & Packing – Camera, Photo Cube, Lighting
It’s usually somewhere between steps 3 and 4 that I figure out I have a problem with a board. Sometimes I find a piece that wasn’t squared up properly, leaving a too-large glue joint. Sometimes I find a board with a defect or even a void, and that just won’t do.
Sometimes I’m drilling pilot holes in a cheese board to put feet on it, and I accidentally drill all the way through the board, leaving a hole on its face. That’s actually the most common defect; and it’s all my fault. But then, they all are.
In any event, when I have a board that can’t go all the way through the process, I put it aside so I deal with it later.
A lot later.
The current repository for boards that need more attention is in a cabinet under my drill press. I’ve got parts for boards that never got assembled, boards with wood defects … and boards with accidental holes in them. I get to them eventually. Generally, after months go by.
Here are 3 boards that required some extra TLC to make it to the finish line: